Lion King

Monday, September 1, 2008

grass/no grass

I took a little walk in Greenville Sunday morning. It took me to a very nice neighborhood with very nice houses on big lots. It was a relatively new neighborhood with houses that looked to be no more than 10 or 15 years old. They were big and (at least in the eyes of their owners, I assume) beautiful.

I have a hard time accepting the need for great big houses. Let me say right now that in the past I was the owner of one. But in my current phase I find it wasteful and non-simple for families to wallow in over-big homes.

But that isn't what I want to discuss today.

Many of the yards were a combination of natural (woodsy) areas and grassy areas. Some were all woodsy some were all grassy. Many of the grassy areas still has trees, many didn't.

I found that I preferred the natural look most. They were natural, clean and tidy. The ground cover was mostly old fallen leaves. There were many naturally occurring (or so they appeared to me) bushes, some thick and impenetrable looking.

Even though I didn't see one child frolicking or any grass picnics I saw at least three lawn maintenance crews. I was saddened to consider what had been removed to add the grass. I was saddened that the grass wasn't added for any practical purpose. I was momentarily happier to know that some people gained employment in the installation and upkeep of the seas of grass. But all in all my predilection for simplicity found it hard to justify the (maybe far too harsh a term) rape of the woods to conform to the neighborhoods and societies expectations. My hat was off to those who let well enough alone and wound up with a beautiful, cost effective, natural environment.

We flew to Oklahoma City today. A very short night. We finished loading-out at 12:30am and had a 5:40am limo. And, since the trucks won't make the long trip in time, our usual 6:00pm Monday move-in has been moved to 3:00am. We usually load-in four hours on Monday then get a night off and finish up at 8am Tuesday, working through the show that night. So we will now work through from 3am till the show is over around 10:30pm. It makes one tough.

2 comments:

PEACE said...

A simple life can bring a certain peace and for many the life they choose. I haven't seen the neighborhood so it's hard to comment. Perhaps the grass had been put in for family gatherings, impromptu bocce ball or crochet games, perhaps a hope that kids would get outside and play tag or lay in the cool grass and see what shapes they could find in the clouds. Of course, I am not promoting golf course size lawns, but that little piece of green may bring the peace to their chaotic life and bring a smile to them at the end of their day.

If the environment supports the woods without sprinklers, which would seem to be the case, I would think it would support the grass and indeed perhaps it was a natural grass that had been mowed and tended to that provided a beauty at least to the homeowners and also the neighborhood.

To me, nothing makes me happier than to see kids playing and laughing in the yard. Because you didn't see them on your walk perhaps was just indictitive to the time/temperature of the day.

If they are happy and not hurting anyone, let them be happy.

Bottom line, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it still is a very beautiful world in which we live. The world would be a much better place if we didn't expect to fit everyone into the same square hole. Let each man find their happiness as they may without judgment.

PEACE said...

Miss you and you do know how I feel about gardens and such. Keep taking those strolls and telling your stories, I love reading about what you are doing.

Don't work too hard tonight. Sweet dreams, Love.